Wednesday 13 December 2017

Math
Today we talked about choosing the correct unit for measuring lengths. Please make sure you complete your "Action" questions for class. If you didn't get a handout, they are below. Make sure you write whether it is the distance, length, width or height of an object or place.

Remember, when you explain for #2, always use a known distance or length to justify your thinking.

Examples:

I would use millimetres to measure the width of a button. A button is not much wider than my finger and I know my finger is about 1 cm. Sometimes buttons have to fit into button holes, so it's important to be exact and I can be more exact if I measure using millimetres because they are smaller units.

I would measure the height of a person in metres and centimetres, since almost everyone I know is between 1 m and 2 m tall. If I want to know who is taller, I would need to know how many centimetres taller one person is.

I would measure the length of a hallway in metres since it is many metres, and even if it’s a few extra centimetres, it wouldn’t matter.

I think everyone finished the investigation on normal steps, big steps and tiny steps. 
No one answered yesterday's problem correct..... candy canes are ready for the taking!
Math test is on Friday: Comparing, ordering, rounding numbers and estimating problems.

Social Studies
We began examining the physical features of the Interior Plains. One thing that should have stood out in the slide show is that the plains are pretty flat. In southern Alberta we have some canyons, but for the most part it's mostly flat. Why is it called the land of the "big sky"? Do you remember the two main resources in the Interior Plains. Think of Sasha....


Reminders:
  • Record your acts of kindness on your calendar
  • Trip to see "Alice in Wonderland" tomorrow morning.
  • Christmas Concert: Monday, December 18th @ St. George Church at 6:00 pm. 

Here's some music from the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM1Y6qDIDCU


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Happy Sixth Week of Summer! So far we have looked at the chance something could happen in terms of words (e.g. likely, impossible, unlik...